Friday, October 18, 2013

Week 42 - Notes from the SEC..


Ohio SEC Notes & Stuff - Week 42 - 2013

For public distribution.  Please forward as appropriate.

These notes will also be available on the ARES page at www.arrl-ohio.org Ohio Digital Emergency Net (OHDEN)  Tues at 8PM. 3585 kHz and 7072 kHz  Upper Side Band.

Ohio HF Net by W8SGT.  Tues at 7PM on 3875 kHz and 7240 kHz Lower Side Band.

Preparedness Leads to Readiness
 
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that participated in the Statewide Simulated Emergency Test last Saturday, October 12th.  I trust you learned something about yourself, your equipment, and/or your ARES team.  Although official reports are still coming in, the SET revealed excellent participation.  I know it takes time and effort to participate and I cannot thank you enough for joining us last Saturday.

I would like to thank Team W8SGT for keeping the Ohio HF Net on the air for the full 12 hours during SET.  I'd also like to thank all the Net Control Stations for keeping Ohio Digital Emergency Net on the air for the full 12 hours.  All of you did a great job doing what you do best.

I'd also like to thank Mahoning County ARES.  I checked into their two meter net.  I observed them conducting proper net discipline, proper net protocol, and clear/concise directions from the Net Control Station.  They also had a great turn out on their net.  36+ checked into their two meter net on the repeater.  Almost equally the same number on their simplex nets!  The only thing that I saw that needed some improvement was following instructions from the net control station.  The net control asked for stations to identify phonetically and most did.  Some did not.  I am not sure if net control recognized this at the time but they were my link to W8SGT at the State of Ohio EOC.  Although, there had not been an HF Net liaison established yet in their county, two amateur radio operators from Trumbull County stepped up to serve as HF liaison for Mahoning County.  Thus, allowing my two messages to be passed to the State of Ohio Emergency Operations Center.  Nice job everyone!  For those who do not know, Mahoning County ARES was "reborn" in the beginning of this year.  I think they have come a long way and I encourage them to keep up the good work.

I'd like to recognize Robert Webster WR8RW, of Canfield, Ohio.  Mr. Webster currently serves as an Assistant Emergency Coordinator in Mahoning County ARES.  He's also Vice President of the Western Reserve Amateur Radio Club.  He volunteers for public service events and he is an elmer to all.  Mr. Webster is preparing to move out of state and I'd like to wish him safe journey.  I understand he will remain with us until the closing of his home but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to thank him.  I thank him for all he has done for Mahoning County ARES and the amateur radio community.  Although he will be missed, I have no doubt he will be an asset to the ARES team wherever he moves to.

I'd also like to recognize Perry County ARES.  Some great kind-spirited people have brought Perry County ARES back to life.  They now have regular meetings, participate in public service events, and they are recognizing the need for some more organization such as suggested gear lists, communications plans, and operations plans.  I am truly thankful for the leadership and hard work amateur radio operators in and around Perry County have put into getting ARES up and running in Perry County.  Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what ya'll come up with next.

If you haven't heard by now, starting in 2014, I am looking at holding a weekend long ARES Training Camp in late Summer or early Fall.  I am aiming to facilitate this event in the Central Ohio area in hopes to maximize participation from around the State.  I am exploring a few possible locations as we speak but I am open to suggestions.  Some possible suggestions received so far are boy scout / girl scout camps, church camps, state park campgrounds, and county fairgrounds.  If you have access to any of these types of facilities, please contact me directly at w8dec@arrl.net.  What I am looking for is a place where 100+ ARES volunteers can eat, sleep, train, and have fun.  Also, training camp will require staff.  There is no way I can organize, manage, and train a whole training camp by myself.  Therefore, consider this my call for help.  I am looking for volunteers to help me train volunteers.  Contact me directly at w8dec@arrl.net if you have something you'd like to teach, demonstrate, or show-off, or if you're interested in serving on staff for ARES Training Camp.

Training.  Ohio Section ARES Structure.  Part 1.

ARES in the Ohio Section starts with the Emergency Coordinator (EC).  The ARRL Emergency Coordinator is a key team player in ARES on the local emergency scene. Working with the Section Emergency Coordinator, the DEC and Official Emergency Stations (OES), the EC prepares for, and engages in management of communications needs in disasters.  Each Emergency Coordinator is appointed by the ARRL Ohio Section Emergency Coordinator (SEC) at the recommendation of the District Emergency Coordinator (DEC).  There is only one Emergency Coordinator appointed per county in the Ohio Section.

An emergency or disaster could have a significant impact on manpower availability.  The Emergency Coordinator might not have the manpower available.  Why not?  Because those volunteers could very well be taking care of their family, home, or property.  What if the Emergency Coordinator does not have enough resources to efficiently and effectively manage communications needs?  Think about that and we'll talk about that next week.


That's all I have for this week.  As always, I thank you for everything you do for amateur radio.

 

73 de Matt W8DEC