Saturday, November 30, 2013

Week 48 of the SEC Weekly Notes..


Ohio SEC Notes & Stuff - Week 48 - 2013
For public distribution.  Please forward as appropriate.
These notes will also be available on the ARES page at www.arrl-ohio.org
THANKSGIVING EDITION!

Ohio HF Net by W8SGT.  Tues at 7PM on 3875 kHz and 7240 kHz LSB.
Ohio Digital Emergency Net (OHDEN)  Tues at 8PM. 3585 kHz and 7072 kHz  USB.
Greetings and salutations.  I trust everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.  My Thanksgiving was pretty good, actually.  I got up early Thanksgiving morning and traveled to downtown Akron for a public service event.  I believe this is my fifth year volunteering with the Cuyahoga Falls Amateur Radio Club for the Gennesaret Homerun for the Homeless.  I am pretty sure this is my third year as the Net Control Station.  The event is a 1 mile fun run followed by a 4 mile run consisting of 4500 runners.  Not to mention it's 18 degrees outside.  While some of the runners wore gorilla suits, banana man outfits, and turkey hats, others were wearing shorts and t-shirts!  I did say it was 18 degrees, right?  Well, I didn't feel the cold as I was drinking my delicious cup of coffee and eating my scrumptious original glazed doughnut from Krispy Kremes in my nice warm vehicle all while maintaining good order and discipline on the two-meter net.  Hee hee.  All kidding aside, it's always a fun time and I enjoy donating my time for a such a worthy cause.
I had a great feast thanks to a special someone.  The dinner was fantastic!  But I also took a silent moment to remember those defending this great Nation against all enemies foreign and domestic.  I took a silent moment to remember the brave men and women of the US Armed Forces who could not come home to their families. For many years, my military career kept me from coming home for the holidays.  I know what it's like to stand a post on Thanksgiving.  It's only right and fair I take a moment to thank them.
Ladies and gentlemen, I do not need a holiday like Thanksgiving to be thankful.  I am grateful everyday for the time and effort you put into this amazing program called ARES.  But most of all, I am very thankful for my family and friends.  I do not know what I would do without them.
Well, that's all I have for this week.  I saved the announcements for next week.  Have a nice weekend.

Preparedness Leads to Readiness

73 de Matt W8DEC