Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 24 of the Section Emergency Coordinator's weekly notes..



Ohio SEC Notes & Stuff - Week 24 - 2014

Ohio HF Emergency Preparedness Net. Tues at 7PM on 3850 kHz (+/-)
Ohio Digital Emergency Net (OHDEN) Tues at 8PM. 7072 kHz USB.

This week's Ohio SEC Notes & Stuff will be short and sweet! Greetings and salutations from the Northeast corner of the Buckeye State where the temperature is currently 72 degrees and sunny.

As I mentioned last week, I have been briefed by ARRL HQ about Mike Corey's article and presentation at Dayton Hamvention. I was going to go over some of it this week but I have been totally busy with working six days a week at AES and still find the time to make it to important meetings and assisting with public service events. So, I don't have anything written up yet. However, I intend on sharing the clarifications with ya'll in next week's Ohio SEC Notes & Stuff. Trust me, what I read even made me wonder what's up too so I feel it's important to go over it with you.

I was reading my digital version of July QST and what did I see on page 70? The ARRL 2013 Simulated Emergency Test results!! And guess what? Thanks to all those who participated and those who submitted SET reports, Ohio Section took third place out of all 71 Sections!! There is no way would could have ever done that without our volunteers and leaders. Many thanks for making the Buckeye State shine amongst the rest.

I am still looking for volunteers to staff water stops or what I call "aqueous distribution outposts" for the 2014 American Cancer Society Pan Ohio Hope Ride. Check out the attached document for water stop locations. Anyone interested is asked to contact me directly so I can get them added to the volunteer roster and advise POHR Staff.

Kudos to Columbiana County Emergency Coordinator Gary Amato KB8HTU for following the Ohio Section Emergency Response Plan Wednesday night. Gary had a severe thunderstorm roll through Lisbon, Ohio where it's believed to have had a tornado touch down causing damage through town. Gary called his District Emergency Coordinator and got no answer. He then called me while I was at the Geauga County ARES meeting. I didn't answer because I didn't know who it was. I listened to my voice mail shortly after and called him right back. I then notified the Ohio Section Manager. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done.

Just a friendly reminder for all ARES leaders including Assistant Emergency Coordinators and Official Emergency Stations...please ensure you have hard copies and electronic copies of the Ohio Section ARES Roster and the Ohio Section Emergency Response Plan (OSERP). Waiting for an emergency or disaster to download these documents from the ARES Secured Area which is located on the ARES page of the Ohio Section website www.arrl-ohio.org. Feel free to contact Assistant SEC Mark KB8YMN or myself should you need any assistance. Anyone needing assistance with username or password should contact the webmaster at n8sy@n8sy.com.

That's all for this week. Thank you for everything you do for amateur radio. Have a nice weekend everyone.

73 de Matt W8DEC